“Irony” is defined as something in which what is on the surface appears to differ radically from what is actually the case.
Here’s an example: You get braces to straighten your teeth so that you have a healthy smile that is easier to clean. However, while wearing braces to straighten your teeth, there is an increased chance of tooth decay. Talk about ironic!
Cleaning your teeth properly while undergoing orthodontic treatment is extremely important. Brackets and wires can catch bits of food and sugary particles left behind every time you eat and drink. Once trapped, these particles cause bacteria to congregate in huge quantities. If bacteria are allowed to develop into plaque and tartar, it will lead to tooth decay and gum disease.
At Broad Street Braces, we want all of our patients to end their orthodontic treatment with beautiful and healthy teeth. The following recommendations can help keep your mouth healthy and your braces clean:
- Floss every day. Yes, it is more challenging, but flossing is the most important thing you can do to promote oral health.
- Brush every time you eat a meal or snack.
- Avoid chewy, hard, crunchy, and sticky foods.
- Do not chew gum.
- Do not chew on pens, your fingernails, or other hard items.
- Do not miss your orthodontic checkups. These help keep your treatment on track, and these appointments allow the orthodontist to notice any signs of trouble.
- Visit the dentist every six months. Just because you visit the orthodontics every couple of months does not negate the importance of dental visits.
At Broad Street Braces, we genuinely care about our patient’s complete oral health. We are Philly’s premier orthodontic specialists for children, teens, and adults. We are a dynamic, friendly, and experienced team with a passion for helping patients find confidence through their smiles.
Contact us today for an appointment!