Having braces is an exciting time because you know that the end result will be a beautiful smile. While there are certain aspects of having braces that are not necessarily fun, you know that they are worth it. One important aspect of wearing braces is knowing what you need to avoid so that your braces stay in place and your orthodontic treatment goes smoothly.
Below is a list of things to avoid and why it’s important to follow the rules!
- Hard Candy – You want to avoid hard candies while you are wearing braces because hard candy can damage the brackets on your teeth. Biting into hard candies can easily pop off a bracket. When brackets are not correctly held in place on the teeth, the teeth will not move into their ideal positions.
- Popcorn – This salty and buttery treat needs to be put on the shelf while you are wearing braces. While there is always the likelihood that biting into a hard kernel can pop off a bracket, popcorn also poses another risk. The hulls of popcorn are notorious for getting lodged between the teeth. With braces, these husks are extremely difficult to remove. Hulls can stay stuck between the teeth for weeks, beginning to rot and causes severe damage to your gum and oral health.
- Sticky Foods – Chewing gum and eating sticky foods like caramel or Laffy taffy need to be put on hold while you are undergoing orthodontic treatment. Sticky foods can easily stick to and wrap around brackets, pulling them off the teeth. Sticky foods can also get wedged between the wires and brackets, leaving a sticky mess that is difficult to clean.
- Staining Foods and Beverages – You must be careful with your colored food and beverage choices. This is especially true if you have clear braces, but also applies to metal braces, because dyes in foods and drinks can easily stain your brackets and teeth. Red, blue, green, and purple dyes are the worst for leaving behind stains on your teeth. It is important to avoid foods and beverages with these dyes to prevent unwanted stains on your teeth that will be visible after your braces are removed.
- Lots of Sugar – You will want to avoid a high sugar diet while undergoing orthodontic treatment. Your teeth will be harder to clean, and if you have a lot of sugar inside your mouth, you are setting yourself up for cavities and decay. It is best to make healthy dietary options while wearing braces to protect your smile.