During the COVID-19 Pandemic, many orthodontic patients have had to cancel or reschedule appointments. With rescheduled appointments, many orthodontic patients have had an extended period between their appointments. For patients and parents of children in braces or orthodontic treatment, this can seem especially unsettling. At Broad Street Braces, your smile is still our highest priority. Your trust in us is never taken for granted, and we are just a phone call away to answer any questions you may have.
For our patients with Invisalign® clear aligners, we want to encourage you to make it a priority to care for your aligners at home. One of the greatest advantages that comes with using Invisalign® is that your aligners are removable. You can eat and drink whatever you want by taking your aligners out of your mouth. This is a huge advantage over those with brackets and wires in their mouths because you can take your aligners completely out to brush and floss.
The goal of aligners is for them to provide a clear option for straightening your teeth. With proper care and cleaning, your aligners can remain clear of stains, odors, and plaque buildup. Follow these steps to keep your aligners invisible:
- Rinse them. Every time you remove your aligners from your mouth, you need to rinse them under running water. This helps to keep them free from plaque buildup, drying saliva, and food particles.
- Clean your teeth. It is silly to put dirty aligners back in your mouth, but it is just as foolish to put clean aligners back inside a dirty mouth. Make sure you brush, rinse, and floss before putting your aligners back in.
- Brush your aligners. In order to keep your aligners clean, you need to brush them daily. Be gentle when brushing, so you do not cause visible scratches and marks on your aligners.
- Soak your aligners. It is important to soak your aligners in the specialized cleaning crystals that you have been given. If you run out of this specialized solution, reach out to your orthodontist.
- Keep your case with you at all times. Let’s face it, clear aligners are easy to lose because they are, well, clear. Make sure that any time you remove your aligners from your mouth that you put them in their case!
At Broad Street Braces, we are here for you. Contact us today with any questions or concerns regarding your orthodontic treatment.